General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Chelsea
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Custom tax on Tv from south side

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Chelsea »

Does anyone know how much is charged at the border bringing in a Tv from the south.

gates
Business contributing to forum

Re: Custom tax on Tv from south side

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by gates »

30% on new items none on second hand

Chelsea
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Chelsea »

Thankyou

gates

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by gates »

If you come pyla boarder most times they don’t even bother

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

I got collared in pyla a while back with a metal.garden bench . I had it on show on the back seat ...I genuinely thought there was a a €200 euro limit or something ..

I was wrong 😂

0 euro limit

gates

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by gates »

It was 150 euros don’t know if that still the norm

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Yes it is 30% import duty plus tax, plus 'extras'. All; designed to stop you buying such items from the south IMHO.

Normally they take the items of you, you're given some paperwork and you have to go to Gumruk HQ (customs) on the main road out of Lefkosa to Famagusta. They work out how much to fleece you by. Be aware, if they stop you at a crossing and find an item you haven't declared, from personal experience they can add a considerable fine, which they seem to make up as they go. Certainly TC's in there at the same time paid nothing like I did - the guy didn't know I spoke Turkish.

There is a personal limit vale in € of items that can be bought and taken across the 'Green Line'. Now I challenged a Gumruk officer to give me a list of items that are allowed and those that are not. He refused saying there is no such list. So how do I, and importantly YOU, know what are prohibited items; such items are then confiscated from you and you can but 'wonder' where they end up! (:Z) (:Q) (:Z)(

They seem to stop all electrical items, anything that has IKEA on it, especially furniture, dairy & meat products, any animal food such as tins/dry food for cats and dogs. So without a list from them, it is all a total gamble when you cross, especially at Metehan.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Id be careful bringing meat at the moment . The bench I brought was 80 euro so there was no allowance for furniture it was about 3 or 4 years ago at pyla..as I had it on show they likely believed I was just thick 😀 so just paid the tax in a hut there was some firm filling and it took awhile . Maybe if I'd concealed it could have been a fine .

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

The allowance is meant to only be invoked for items manufactured in Cyprus, so TVs, other electrical items and anything from IKEA do not fall into this easement.

Nc2016
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Nc2016 »

I was told in 2008 that electrical goods and furniture were a no - no.
That said, you pay your money and take your chance.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Its along time since 2008!

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

The point being Groucho, is that the Gumruk (customs) refuse to properly advise the public what can and cannot be brought over the Green Line. Whether they (Customs), are in the right or wrong, without something in writing, it potentially leaves people with a sense of am I being conned here, what's happened to confiscated items; do we really believe they dispose of tinned animal food for example? Better if it was destroyed in front of you.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Just an aside cos I know this is 12 years ago but absolutely true. Back in the day when there was a lot of food brands available in the South but not here a friend came back with loads of "treats" for herself i.e. smoked and poached salmon, smoked haddock, gorgeous pate and cheeses etc Plus a load of other goodies. On the way back at Metehan a nasty little "jobs worth" stopped her after she had showed her passport, and asked what food did she have in the boot. He made her open the boot and showed her what was forbidden and asked her to remove it. She tried to fight her corner but he was joined by another moron. So she took out what he instructed and threw it under the 4 x 4, jumped in and threw it into gear, then in reverse and then into drive again. I hope you all enjoy it she called out. Noone moved a muscle and we honestly thought she would get a visit from the police, but nothing, although the tyres were a bit sniffy. BTW her husband had left her for another woman the day before and Metehan was the last straw and helped her get it out of her system. It certainly gave us a good laugh as they hadn't confiscated any booze.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”